Monday, September 28, 2015

Birth Story

Short Story:

Monday:
10AM-Doctor Stripped my Membranes; 1cm Dilated. 80% Effaced.
12:30PM-My First Contraction.
6PM-When my contractions were 3-5mins apart.
7PM-Got to the Hospital
7:30PM-Put me on the wiring and checked me, still a 1cm, close to 2cm. But my contractions were consistent. I was in early labor. We decided to go home and "sleep on it"

Tuesday:
(I couldn't get the right time, because I was out of it most of the time)
3AM-Contractions getting stronger, hard to sleep
9AM ish-Decided to go back to the Hospital. Very sharp painful contractions.
10AM ish-admitted to the hospital.
Noon-ish-Doctor came in, I was about 3cm
1PM-Jason got to the Hospital
5PM ish-Doctor came to check on me; 5cm. Water broke by itself while doctor and Jason were talking.
6PM ish-I was in pain!!!
6:45PM-I started to push
7:14PM-Doctor came back to deliver baby.
7:16PM-Emily came out.

Long Story:

    On Monday morning, I was scheduled to go in for a check up. I'm 39 weeks and 4 days. My mom had made it just in time to head out. When we got there; we did our normal routine, the only different part was I had protein in my urine, high blood pressure and my feet were swollen. Which they indicated that I could have preeclampsia. Didn't have any headaches, I wasn't tired, my vision was just fine, I had lost 2 pounds from the previous week. So it was just on a borderline and wanted to check just in case. But first I wanted to get my membranes stripped, just because what if I did have preeclampsia, my doctor will have to induce me anyways. I will tell you, that it did hurt!! After visiting with the doctor the nurses took my blood to go get tested for preeclampsia. Then I went to go pick up a jug for me to pee in and to return the following morning. (Well I didn't end up having to worry about it)
    After the appointment and everything, my mom and I went to WinCo to go get some much needed food. Sometime during our time there, I was feeling pain in my back and just getting tired of walking. Once we sat in the car, and I called up Jason to tell him how my appointment went I was actually feeling my contractions. We first started timing them. They were kind of all over the place.
We went out to get some hamburgers and frozen custard to eat at home (I could barely eat it cause of my contractions and I was in pain from the stripped membranes)
I think I had taken a small nap, but we watched some shows in bed and I had to deal with apartment things as we just timed my contractions.
    As my contractions were consistent, I decided to go to the hospital. I wasn't sure if I should go or not, I just knew what my doctor said, if my contractions were consistent that I should go to the hospital. Only to know when I got there, they weren't strong enough and I was still dilated at a 1cm. I wasn't too sad, because I just knew that my baby will be coming really soon. The nurse told me that I was in early labor, I had the contractions, but she told me more of the signs of labor. Which the contractions would be a lot stronger and had this sharp pain, and others. The nurse also brought up that I wold be able to sleep better than staying in the hospital. (which is true, because they wouldn't be coming in to check on me every hour or two) She also said that she's never actually said this to people before, because she has been wrong before but she did say that she think I would be returning the next morning/afternoon again. Boy was she right.

    When I got home, I tried to eat something. But it was hard eating something when you have a contraction. Jason returned home from work and I tried to sleep-not much luck and he wasn't able to sleep either, because I kept him up through out the night telling him about my contractions and how painful they were and how I really want to go to the hospital already. Once 6AM came around, for Jason to get up for work and for me to make Jason's lunch, I was still in pain and couldn't do much. Once he left, I tried to sleep some more. It was better, but not that much better.

    About 9AM I decided to go to the hospital again, texted the young women's president that I wouldn't be able to make it to the activity that night, gathered a few things once again and just before going out the door, I had this VERY VERY sharp pain on my lower stomach. Like a cramp kind of feeling, but a lot worse. During the car ride there, I couldn't talk or move much. I turned on the seat heater, which helped a bit. Once we got to the hospital, I wouldn't even walk into the doors, I cried once I reached the front desks and said that I was in labor. They took me in-which was in the same room I was in the night before. They put everything on again and checked my cervix-I was 2cm and 100% effaced. They decided to let me stay. I had to answer all these questions which was very hard while I'm in contractions, and my mom didn't know many of the other answers (which I wished Jason was there, because he knew all of them) They tried to ask me in between contractions though. And signing things, I ended up just scribbled my name (I was in pain) My Contractions were mostly on my back side.

    After answering the questions the best that I could, I had taken a hot bath and my mom called up Jason for him to come to the hospital. The bath was wonderful, because I was able to sleep more. My contractions came back in the middle of my bath time. When they got too hard to handle, I went back to the bed and doctor came to check up on me. I was dilated to 3cm. We talked about the epidural a bit more and having him brake my water. Just talking about options. I really wanted to get that epidural. But I didn't do anything until Jason was there. Because I just knew I wasn't in the right mind set. He was!! I sat at the edge of the bed and rubbed my back and it helped for the time being. Then came Jason as I was eating a small banana and took some water in-between contractions. Jason saw how in pain I was.

    About every hour I would move up a cm. I took another bath as Jason came in to comfort the best he can. I didn't talk much, just a lot of breathing and in pain. Trying not to push during the contractions. I just wanted to scream during these things!! I had suggested to get an epidural to Jason. He convinced me not to, we pinky promised (Back Story: months before the birth Jason and I talked about the birth, and the way that we wanted to go. We chose to do all natural, unless something happens that I will need to do to save me and the baby. I also brought it up to him that I know I will want to get an epidural through out my labor progress, I wouldn't be in the right mind set so I needed him to help me keep going and being my supporter) Boy was he great help. I knew that if I had pushed through my contractions, or sucked it up and went through the all natural that Jason would be more in love with me, how much pain I had gone through without doing anything.

    My doctor returned again to check up on me and to answer some questions that Jason had. I was dilated to 5cm. Still not close enough. But as the doctor was answering Jason's questions, my water broke. I interrupted them and said "I think my water just broke" The nurses checked and it sure was. I was a little bit on the nervous side, because I just knew my contractions would be a lot worse. After answering Jason's questions, the doctor then asked if it was fine by us that if he could check up on another patient right next door and for him to go eat dinner with his family. Thinking that I may have this baby between 8 or 9 in the evening. We let him go, and I just sat down on my bed, suffering through the contractions and resting in between them. I heard that each contraction ended up being 5 mins long, with a 2 min gap of rest (which literally felt like less than a minute)

    The time the nurse said that the baby was facing the wrong way, she asked for me to move onto one side, I did-but I was even in more pain. I couldn't breathe because it hurt, but once she pushed down on my butt from me being on my side it took a lot of the pain out. I just wanted her to stay there. Shortly after, I returned on my back; saw the first nurse that I saw on Monday night! She wanted to check up on me before going to her patient. Once I returned on my back, it was time to push. I saw them getting the table ready for baby, and my nurse had me do some pushing exercises. One with the towel and having me bring myself up as she pulled me up, and just the normal positions. The head was coming out, I looked at Jason as he looked. I knew he wasn't going to have such a great experience seeing all this stuff. He has a very weak stomach. Every contractions, I would be pushing. Which honestly felt a lot better than just breathing and suffering through it. The nurses wanted me to spread my legs apart more, and I couldn't have it, because I felt some kind of tearing, but they kept saying that I was pushing hard. It was really how my legs were that made it tear a bit. Once it was getting closer for baby to get here, and doctor still was not in sight, they had me stop pushing. I looked at them with wide eyes and tried not pushing. But I can't handle my contractions. Jason was all over the place. Going back and forth to the bathroom and me. The nurses once asked where he went. I just laughed because I knew that this was going to happen. I told him way before to stay by my head. Maybe next time in the future he will actually listen to me.

    7:14PM the doctor finally came in, the nurses were already ready for him to put his things on. He was right in front of me with no gloves on. He was quickly trying to put them on, and Jason was trying to get ready as well, with no gloves on period. He was going to help grab baby once she came out. I did about 2 to 3 more pushes and she was out! BUT the cord was tightly around her neck. Which was crazy, because her heartbeat was still going regularly. I guess it had just gotten around her neck seconds before getting out. Doctor pushed Jason away so he can take care of the situation. She then got onto my lap, as the nurses patting the baby, Jason looked to see what it was. It was a girl. then 4 seconds later the doctor announced that it was a girl.

    The doctor went to go fix me up, and the nurse took baby. Jason had two places to choose from. He decided to go to baby, it was less messy on her side. I had torn both sides, which was only small. Doctor and nurses were very surprised how great I was for our first. I only pushed for 30 mins, and I had on the sides, instead of the bottom where it normally happens for new mothers. Jason did come over to me and we discussed her name. We knew Emily was her name, but the way to spell it; Emily or Emilie. Well I decided to go with Emily, letting Jason win on this one. Shortly after I believe Jason came over with Emily and handed her to me. I then said, "She looks just like you Jason; including the mouth!!" Oh how much we both love her!!

    After the doctor finished things up; he told me things that I needed to know and parted. The nurses did a few things and parted. My mom went to go tell my dad and then it was just us three. FINALLY!! We wanted to figure out who to tell first and told people. We possibly missed a couple, because then we had some visiters. Grandma/Grandpa Klingler and Andy. Andy came after baby and I had taken a shower.

    When I had taken a shower, I was lucky enough to be able to stand up, even though it was a very different feeling. My stomach was hurting, which was normal. After I got everything situated, they gave me a choice to walk or get wheeled into my next room. I decided to walk. Passed the bath time, and helped Jason pick out cute things for Emily. Then we headed over to our rooms, ate and relaxed.

    The following day; Jason stayed home from work and we had some visiters. Brent and family. my brother, James and sister in-law. Grandma/Grandpa Klingler, and Katie and Landon. I believe that was it. Had amazing breakfast, lunch and our celebration meal. Jason had a steak and I had Chicken Cordon Bleu. We got to even sleep through out the night with baby. That first night, nurses came to check up on us and baby was having a difficult time feeding. Second night was better, she just slept almost through out the whole night. I could have slept better, but I knew the doctors were coming in at midnight, and they never came, until 4AM. I also was thinking about wanting to feed her. I know it's good to feed her, but at the same time it was a bit nerve cracking that the nurses were wanting me to feed her, but yet she didn't want to wake up for it. She loved her sleep more than eating at the moment. I learned that the day we returned home. She didn't eat anything for like 7 hours straight, because she was sleeping. I tried to wake her up and feed her, but she wouldn't eat, she didn't need to eat yet.

    So grateful for this little beauty in our lives. After almost a week old, she has been eating and sleeping really well and developing her schedule that we will be able to work with.

Week 1 Update:
Midnight to 4:30AM-Sleeps
4:30 to 5AM-Eats
5 to 8AM-Sleeps
8 to 8:30AM-Eats
8:30 to 10:30AM-Sleeps
10:30 to 11AM-Eats
11AM to Noon-ish-Play Time
Noonish about 30 Mins-Eats
1PM-3:30PM-Sleeps
3:30 to 4PM-Eats
4 to 5PM-Play Time
5 to 5:30PM-Eats
5:30 to 8PM-Sleeps
8 to 8:30PM-Eats
8:30 to 11PM-Sleeps
11 to 11:30PM-Eats
11:30 to Midnight-Play Time
Midnight Snack to go to bed.

*She loves to sleep
*She smiles just before falling asleep
*She loves her daddy; Daddy's little girl
*Breastfeeding her and she's doing great
*Went to church when she was only 5 days old, and she did fantastic. (We came in just after our bishop announced that we had our baby, yes people were very surprised. Both baby and I were healthy enough to go)
*Mommy and Daddy loves giving her kisses
*Loves having Grandma time.
*She's had some bad dreams here and there, which breaks my heart. It's the only time she will ever cry too.

She's been an easy baby so far. Letting me sleep and getting things done and recovering. The times above kind of vary, and it's roughly around those times for the past few days now.

Now time for some pictures







Jason's Newborn Pictures (She looks a lot like him)

My Newborn Pictures (I'm the baby of course, she has my nose and eyes though)

<3 She's a Beauty!! <3

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I can't believe that you had your baby! And I can't believe that she is a girl! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete